I know this took place over a month ago but i’ve had NO time to get my ideas together so here it is now.
2. First colonization of Australia! Shae’s description of it was brilliant “Hard land, teen criminals, far from home, lawless society. Gimme. ” YES this would be SO epic. I feel like NIL by Lynne Matson might be like that and I am so so excited to read it.
3. A gender bent fairy tale! a la male sleeping beauty or female beast type of thing. This could be so cool. Throw in an epic adventure and it would be crazy cool.
4. I NEEEED more best friend turned relationship books. Kasie West’s ON THE FENCE is going to be like that but I need more. I read a really phenomenal fanfic once that I just wish was published and turned into a NA book.
5. An old school murder mystery set in glamorous old Hollywood!
6. Rachel Patrick from Beauty and The Bookshelf had one that I absolutely loooved. A YA Tarzan! Jungle setting and maybe even the roles switched. I know this book, Wild is coming out but thats a modern retelling. I want a straight up exact retelling.
7. YA Anastasia would be fantastic. So magical.
8. Hannah from Hannah Reads Books had one of the most original ideas in the list. A book about someone who finds a book about their life and has to decide whether or not to read it.
9. A retelling of any fairytale where the princess is the antagonist and this was Blythe’s idea and i’m pretty sure she did it for NANO and I am SO excited!
10. A story set in the Bermuda Triangle! Avalon by Mindee Arnett kind of has this bermuda triangle thing going on in space and it’s creepy as hell. It would be awesome if the entire focus of a book was on it.
11. A dark circus setting. Think The Night Circus but for YA.
12. An Aladdin retelling with genies and all.
13. I really want lesser known fairy tale retellings as retellings are some of my favourite stories. Frog princess, Rapunzel, Swan princess etc.
14. I want more contemporaries that have HUGE families. I really want the protagonists family to be huge too, not just a friend or significant other.
15. YA Mulan retelling. That is all.
16. Some magical realism stories!
17. A YA Indiana Jones, National Treasure, Tomb Raider or something like The Mummy would be soo cool.
18. The Mary Kate and Ashley movies like Holiday In The Sun, Winning London, Our Lips Are Sealed etc. THOSE would be fantastic as YA!
19. Industrial Revolution Fantasy: magic meets technology in a take-no-prisoners smackdown. It would also be cool if magic was “out” and accepted first.
20. More Sci/Fi fairy tales. The success of Marissa Meyer’s The Lunar Chronicles shows that this can happen, and be done well!
21. I want to read a book in a male’s POV with a wicked bromance.
22. Prohibition Era from the perspective of a YA directly involved in either smuggling or enforcing.
23. Horror retellings of fairy tales. Much more along the lines of genuine Grimm tales.
24. A couple who meet and fall in love in a bookstore. Be still my heart, I would die for this!
25. A Nancy Drew type character set in modern times!
26. Jack Frost mythology would be awesome. Thinking human boy who becomes Jack Frost.
27. A ghost story attached to a unique place. Maybe a sunken ship? Ghosts + mermaids would be interesting.
28. Sleepy Hollow inspired YA
29. Moar gothic style books with spooky houses and possibly witches like Between the Devil and the upcoming Fiendish!
Those are just some of my favourites but there were SO many fantastic ideas!
Shae has compiled them all in a Tumblr that is up but nothing has been posted yet, so keep your eyes out for that! Also, the twitter thread is here!
What were some of the ideas that you loved or would like to see?