Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature run over at The Broke and the Bookish and this is my first time having a go at it!
Working in a book store I am lucky to get to recommend great books to customers every day. It also gives me the chance to get some good recommendations from them as well. So today, I am going to do my Top Ten favourite YA novels in any genre!
1. Daughter of Smoke and Bone- Laini Taylor. This book is so gorgeously written and incredibly unique. Reading a book based in Prague is an added bonus too.
2. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer- Michelle Hodkin. This book totally blew me away. Eerie and mysterious, Hodkin gives nothing about the book away until she wants you to know about it. A great paranormal thriller.
3. The Madman’s Daughter- Megan Shepherd. This book just came out in February and I absolutely devoured it. Some people complain the romance got in the way of the plot but I think it just enhanced an already fantastic retelling of a classic story in a beautiful and gothic way.
4. Obsidian- Jennifer L Armentrout. This series is seriously awesome. Unique and a topic not touched on in YA lit, with snarky characters and chemistry that leaps off the page.
5. Divergent- Veronica Roth. With it so commonly compared to The Hunger Games, I have to say this book is better. A bit more mature, a bit less depressing while still maintaining the dangerous aspect of a Dystopian society. And a badass leading lady.
6. A Great And Terrible Beauty- Libba Bray. I love historical books, and throw in some paranormal/ supernatural aspects that is hilariously written and you get the Gemma Doyle Trilogy. This was one of the first books I read years and years ago that hooked me on YA.
7. Clockwork Princess- Cassandra Clare. It’s the third book in the trilogy, and the best she has written yet. If you haven’t read either of her series- The Mortal Instruments or The Infernal Devices- you don’t know what you are missing! Action, adventure, supernatural/ paranormal, romance, Victorian London, this series has it all!
8. Eragon- Christopher Paolini. The first book in a four book series that is about a boy and his dragon in the land of Alegasia. This series is such an epic fantasy, that is fast paced and full of adventure.
9. Vampire Academy- Richelle Mead. My favourite vampire series by far, this one is sexy, dangerous and exciting. And Rose is the coolest, most badass character in YA lit in my opinion.
10. Fallen- Lauren Kate. A book about fallen angels, that is slightly gothic and beautifully written. This whole series was amazing.
I honestly could keep going. Veronica Rossi’s series, Under The Never Sky has totally captured me. Anne Brashares will always be a favourite, C.J Redwine, Maureen Johnson, John Green, Maggie Stiefvater, Leigh Bardugo and so many more.
What books would you recommend to people in this genre? Or any genre you love to read!